JANE AUSTEN FESTIVAL AUSTRALIA
12-14 April 2019

Jane Austen Festival Australia is an annual celebration in Canberra where Austen and Napoleonic fans from all over Australia come and indulge themselves in everything Regency - including dancing, music, food, games, archery, fencing, theatre, promenades, grand balls, talks, workshops, costumes and books. This festival is now a regular part of the ACT Heritage Festival, Australian Heritage Week and is supported by the ACT Government, the Australian Costumers Guild and the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy. Since its inception in 2008 this little festival has blossomed into one of the most delightful four days anyone could experience each April in an old and beautiful part of Canberra, the Federal capital of Australia.

October 11, 2017

Win a Regency Gentleman's Top Hat


“My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.'  
'You are mistaken,' said he gently, 'that is not good company, that is the best.”

Dear Friends,

We are running a competition on our Jane Austen Festival Facebook Page where ticket holders can win a Gentleman's Regency Top Hat. Other competitions are planned so do subscribe to the page for notifications. To enter just go to https://contest.fbapp.io/your-chance-to-win-a-regency-gentleman-s-top-hat or https://www.facebook.com/JaneAustenFestival/ It closes on the 31 October 2017.

Discount earlybird & volunteer tickets are still on sale for 4 days and nights at the Albert Hall from 12-15 April 2018. New in 2018 will be a buffet roast dinner on our Thursday Opening Night, together with pleasant entertainments to welcome you to the festival. Please invite friends and family members to join you - we are organising extra events for men and children in 2018. Also on the JAFA ticket page are tickets to other events we have organised this year, including a Regency Bonnet Workshop on Jane Austen's Birthday and our family-friendly Christmas Carol Ball in December. Join us for both!

Our soldiers will be returning next year - so polish your shoes, brush your hats and keep an eye on your sons and daughters! There are new workshops on the program as we celebrate 200 years since the publication of many people's favourite Jane Austen novel, Persuasion. A favourite quote from this novel is below:

“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.”

Looking forward to seeing you all again,


Aylwen Gardiner-Garden


Jane Austen Festival Australia Picnic. Photo by Steve Bittinger, April 2017.

No comments:

$0 Web Hosting